My 9 to 5 job finished officially on May 31, 2015. If you recall, I was given marching orders last fall. Since I am in a wheelchair, that should be rolling orders! I had to hire an employment lawyer who read them the riot act. They were willing to compromise and here I am, finally officially jobless after 7 months. Now I can either retire on some kind of ODSP type dole, or do the more difficult task of getting a regular wage. I have floated my resume, but no bites so far. I was joking with some friends that “GOD” is available for hire – GOD being Gay Old Disabled (of course!).
Meanwhile, to keep active, I have started a blog site, majorly influenced by Enables Me. I propose to cover topics close to my heart, including disability and LGBT issues. The site is desispeaks.com. Desi is benign slang for South Asians including Indians. We have to call ourselves East Indians since Chris Colombus refused to ask for directions back in the day.
Where is the need for one more disability website? Well, the most important benefit for me is that I am the primary writer and can be as PI as can be (opposite of PC). The logo is attached. Also the opening disclaimer, which is warning for the faint-hearted.
I certify that:
- I am an adult
- I am not easily offended, I understand that I can stop reading any time
- I shall not try to kill you or issue death threats
- If I want you to shut up, I will send you lots of money
- I am OK with references to the A word, B word, C word ….Z word and their equivalents in all global languages and dialects
- I shall not break into a sweat if you talk about priests, mullahs, swamis, gurus, preachers … and/or altar boys.
So, log in to desispeaks.com, write and comment. And wish me luck!